2006-06-19

a wind in the door - madeleine l'engle

"Well, then, if I'm a Namer, what does that mean? What does a Namer do?"

...

"When I was memorizing the names of the stars, part of the purpose was to help them each to be more particularly the particular star each one was supposed to be. That's basically a Namer's job. Maybe you're supposed to make earthlings feel more human."

...

"But how do I do it? How do I Name Mr. Jenkins when all I think of when I see him is how awful he is?

...

"There's a word - but if I say it you'll just misunderstand."

"You have to say it."

"It's a four-letter word. Aren't four-letter words considered the bad ones on your planet?"

"Come on. I've seen all the four-letter words on the walls of the washroom at school."

Proginoskes let out a small puff. "Luff."

"What?"

"Love. That's what makes persons know who they are..."

1 comment:

  1. Wow,I loved this book as a kid. Thanks for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete