2008-01-12

stuff I get excited about :)

I love listening to music on records, plus, as I'm sure you've picked up by now, I love old, beautiful things. For my birthday this last year, Trina got me this amazing record player/radio cabinet that we think is probably from the 1930's:





The record player cabinet came with a big stack of old 78 RPM records (it only plays 78s)



Including one of our favorites:



Last weekend we were down visiting Trina's grandmas, and they happened to have a few records sitting around, and we mentioned that we had gotten that record player cabinet, and so they gave them to us (they don't have a record player anymore). Those included some Benny Goodman and Doris Day along with some other stuff:



A few months ago, we got a little portable record player for like $3 at the Oregon City School District sale, so we can play 33 1/3 RPM and 45 RPM records as well as 78s.



Also for my birthday this year, our friend Theresa gave me a record set of Beethoven's 9th Symphony:







Yes, the records are RED :)

Yesterday, Trina went to Goodwill and was looking around, and found this set of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto - performed by Rachmaninoff!







It's a beautiful piece, and sounds so nice and cozy on record :) The performance by Rachmaninoff is wonderful too.

She also found this set of a number of different Chopin pieces, which are lovely as well.



Well, that's all for now, good readers. Hope you all enjoy your weekends!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, that's a lovely classical batch you've started now. I love red records, I've seen them before, and they can be so richly colored they look like a big piece of cherry candy or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful!! We were just listening to records at a friends house last night on their portable player that is like yours...it sounded so great with all the scratchy sounds in the background!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi fellow Oregonian! Just saw your comments on Vanessa's site and thought it was a wonderful post. You ought to copy it and post in on your site. She brings up such poignant topics and I'm happy that you enjoy her blog as well:)
    ~Christine

    p.s. Love that new record player! Lucky you. I have a stash in the garage I bought as a teen and they sit there begging to be played :)

    ReplyDelete