2008-06-17

what a day...

Well, yesterday was an interesting day... it was a pretty uneventful day, Trina and I both went to work, Trina went to the pet store after work to get cat food for Teagan, and then she met me at the bus stop on my way home, and we walked up to Pho Hung for dinner, then walked back down to the vet to get Piccoli's food, and then came home. We've been having brake problems on our car, so we had gotten some brake fluid, and I was going to put it in to see if it would help the brakes, so I opened the car, climbed in the back seat to pull out the owner's manual to see where to put in the brake fluid, and when I climbed back out of the backseat, I noticed the seat was on fire. Well, it was the battery (we have a 1974 VW Beetle, and the battery is under the backseat). I opened both the doors and ran in to find the fire extinguisher, but by the time I got back out, half of the front side of the back seat had melted, the ceiling of the car had melted and dripped all over the rest of the car, the back of the passenger seat had melted, and the whole inside of the car was covered with soot. Thankfully we weren't driving, and nobody was hurt. We looked at our insurance, and we have fire coverage, so it looks like we'll be able to get all the damage taken care of, and our wonderful brother-in-law Josh, who runs an auto shop with his dad, said just to let them know when we figured out our insurance coverage, and they'd send out a tow truck and just take care of the whole thing. Thankfully it doesn't seem like there was any real major damage, just some melted wiring and the upholstery stuff, so we don't think it will be too bad. We finished off the evening watering the gardens, and then watching this week's Doctor Who episode with Theresa and Linda, we had chocolate, I had a couple glasses of rum, and things felt a bit better. Here are some pictures of the mess for your perusal. Poor little Sofie :(



All the little bubbly, knobby stuff on the seats is melted pieces of the ceiling that dripped and melted to the seats.


The roof:


The visors melted too:


More ceiling drippings:






5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry guys! Poor little Sofie! At least you'll have a good story to tell for years to come.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! That is terrible! I inherited a 1971 VW bug, buttercup yellow, so I called him Egg. I sold him 2 years ago to a 16 year old girl in my neighborhood. Gosh what a great car that was... Sorry about your seat!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! It is amazing you weren't hurt at all- but you did get a great story!

    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary! We had battery problems in Seattle and Portland last weekend but nothing like what you had. Glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 2 60's VW's. There is absolutely a love/hate relationship with them. Constant drama....however...I will say there is something appealing about a car that you can fix with just a simple owners manual!

    ReplyDelete