2008-09-30

bike commute challenge

The Bicycle Transportation Alliance (an Oregon bicycle advocacy group) has been hosting a kind of informal challenge during the month of September. Basically the deal is that you sign up as a team with others from your workplace, and log what days you work, and whether you cycled to work each day - and if so, how far you rode. Today was the last day, and I'm happy to report that as of today, despite not having my bike available the first week of September, I've logged 100 miles and a 62% commute rate. The Oregon Health and Science University team has logged almost 32,000 miles for the month, and all participants in the commute challenge together have logged 1,113,486 miles for the month. Supposedly that's about 1,100,000 pounds of carbon emissions those people saved by biking rather than driving, and collectively somewhere around 54,561,000 calories burned :) Not to mention, it's thousands of cars not on the road everyday, which means better traffic, easier parking, and hopefully less stress for those who are driving.

Now I'm looking ahead to the weather getting cooler, and then rain, and what I'm going to need to continue commuting when it's wet out. We shall see. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've followed your blog -- a lot to catch up on. Neat to see that commuting via bike is working for you! I just got a new position that's a lot closer than before. Realistically, I can bike if not all the time, at least a few times a week. I'm stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong work, dude.
    Algore will be proud of you. You just saved the planet.
    Keep it up!
    Next year, you're doing the Portland Century with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great way out from ecological Crisis. If only big megalopolises could change a car to bikes, it would be wonderful! But from the othter hand, I can understand you and your state. Fortunatelly, the September, as well as the Project, came to the end and now you can move to your former usual life.
    Best regads. Inessa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thankfully I think a lot of people who participated in the challenge were already year-round bicycle commuters, and others who just started because of the challenge decide to continue after the challenge is finished, so I think the challenge really just serves as a motivation to get people to try commuting by bicycle in hopes that they will enjoy it and continue doing it once the challenge is finished. It sounds like that definitely does happen some of the time, which is really good.

    ReplyDelete