2008-10-27

a few bike modifications...

So, I finally got around to getting a new bike bell, as the one that comes with the Amsterdams dings whenever you go over a bump, which was getting really annoying and distracting. Trina already had a different bell from her previous bike, so I got this nice Widek bell from Clever Cycles.

Additionally, our friend Michael (of Michael and Dara fame) helped me out getting parts for and installing a front caliper brake, which has been a nice supplement to the coaster brake. He found a brake somewhere that I could have for free, and got some of the other parts cheaply for me. Big thanks again to him for helping me out with that.

Hope everyone's Monday was good!

From Biking

From Biking

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I also have an Electra (Cruiser 3) that has only a coaster brake. It gets VERY HOT going down our huge hill. I think I will also put on a front caliper brake. Thanks for verifying that this is a straight forward mod. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the parts, minus the brake itself, cost about $15. If you have any shops around wherever you are that sell used parts, you can probably find a used brake (make sure it's not too rusty) for $10 or less. Just make sure to measure the distance from the screw on the bike to the wheel rim and get a brake that's long enough to reach. And make sure the cruiser has that same screw mount there :)

    ReplyDelete