2009-04-09

what makes it feel like spring?

Well, first of all, there's the sunshine, the people outdoors, and the cherry trees blooming :) See my post at Portlandize for more details about our weekend trip to Saturday Market.

Over the weekend we also got our first new plants of the season, which consisted of thyme, chives, dill, some geraniums, and some nasturtiums.

Monday we moved a few things from our garden area that had started sprouting again (more chives, and some oregano) over to our flower garden in front of our house, so they will be more accessible.

I'm excited to be getting outside more for non-transportation purposes, I'm excited to see more growing things, and to be growing more things, I'm excited to dig in the dirt with my fingers and cook again with things we've grown.

Theresa did some weeding in our main garden area on Monday, and we're going to talk soon about what all we want to plant in there this year. I'll post some photos of our front flower garden soon, and the vegetable garden once we actually plant some stuff :)

Cheers and best wishes all! Happy spring!

13 comments:

  1. Here is what makes it feel like spring where I live! 15 hours of daylight plus 5 more minutes every day, tiny buds bravely popping out at the ends of branches, icicles melting from hanging flower pots, giant slush and ice holes in the parking lot outside, a daily growing chorus of birds singing...calling insistently for things green and warm and melty in spite of the still formidable snow piles everywhere, feeling energetic and restless and eager to ride my new bike, barbecuing instead of cooking even though it's still only 25 degrees, and my favorite of all..the ripe smell of everything that the snow was hiding being exposed and warmed by the sun. :) I have to say I miss the cherry blossoms and cozy sunshine, but there's also nothing like the feeling of coming alive with everything around you and feeling the energy and enthusiasm for life and adventure begin to flow through your veins again. I wish I could live everywhere all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I remember much of what you just described from spring in Lithuania :) Spring there (because it was dark and cold for so long) was an experience I'm not likely to forget.

    We haven't pulled the BBQ out yet, though I keeps smelling them riding through neighborhoods, and I'm excited to pull it out soon.

    What kind of bike did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, I keeps smelling them. Yes I does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I will now always picture you as a gollumesque figure riding his bike to work. :) I got a Schwinn mountain bike. Here is a picture: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cqFREVUAL._SS500_.jpg She's still hiding in the garage with paperwork all attached, but soon she will make her maiden voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, I hope she will serve you well! :) Don't forget to break a bottle of wine on her before you set sail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy if I do that I might be tempted to lick the handle bars!!! (I miss wine a little...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And now I'm picturing you furiously licking the handlebars while drooling profusely - how's that for mental images? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha!!! I think if we really were those images we would make quite the pair riding our bikes together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh, I don't think you'd make it very far on your bike if you were furiously licking the handlebars while riding :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh and now because of all this when Andy and I become wine makers we will have to make a Schwinn variety, suitable for picnics and outdoor excursions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you planning on becoming wine makers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to start planting and running barefoot through the garden. We still have patches of snow in the woods but who cares because I'm headed for the beach!
    jj

    ReplyDelete