2009-05-31

New (Old) Raleigh Sport

So, as a bit of an early birthday present for me (really early, thank you my dearest love!), we just today bought this gorgeous 1952 Raleigh Superbe. It came up on Craigslist yesterday (I subscribed to a search for Raleigh), and it looked so amazing we had to go look at it. It has the original Sturmey Archer 4-speed internal rear hub in, and it still works fine. It has the original front dynamo hub as well, though he wasn't sure if it still works, as he'd never had a light attached. He had the wheels rebuilt around the original hubs with alloy rims and put some nice Schwalbe Marathon tires on it, as well as new brake pads. It has the original Brooks saddle, which is a bit worn out, but isn't uncomfortable and has a nice squeak to it :) The bike itself feels really solid, and I'm amazed at what good shape it's in, being nearly 60 years old. This one has found a very happy, loving home, and hopefully it will still be in use after another 60 years. I would love to see that. Ok, enough jabber, here are the pictures:

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

New (Old) Raleigh Superbe

Edit: I forgot to mention, we saw this ad recently in a 1950's National Geographic Magazine we have, and I remarked "too bad they don't make those anymore." Now I own one :)

Raleigh Advert

1 comment: