2011-03-15

John Lennon - God



God is a concept
By which we measure
Our pain

I'll say it again

God is a concept
By which we measure
Our pain

I don't believe in magic,
I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in bible,
I don't believe in tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler,
I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in mantra,
I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in yoga,
I don't believe in kings,
I don't believe in Elvis,
I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Beatles,
I just believe in me,

Yoko and me
And that's reality.

The dream is over,
What can I say?

The dream is over,
Yesterday
I was the dreamweaver,
But now I'm reborn

I was the walrus,
But now I'm John

And so dear friends,
You just have to carry on,
The dream is over.

I'm really relating to the overall atmosphere and idea of this song these days. From my point of view, he is saying a few things here: this world is not for "saving" - it's wasting your life spending all your time on the future, dreaming about a life to come and waiting around for someone or something to save you from who and where you are, to make things better, whether that be a religious figure, politician, celebrity. What matters is who you are, right now, this moment, and what you're going to do with that. No delusions of grandeur or assumed identities, just you, stripped to your basic self, and the life that you have. What will you do with it?

1 comment:

  1. Inactivity or reliance on some outward force to "happen" to you is definitely a dangerous approach to life. But "Carpe diem" mentality is not the only other option. Christians are Christians because of their belief in something outside themselves. Our belief in God is not one that make us the "master of our fates". *He* is the captain of our souls. Our identity is not just our own. To say that all I believe in is me is to say that all that I worship, adore, glorify, and desire is ultimately me. And there's nothing sadder than actively pursuing my wishes and dreams knowing that they mean nothing. Our purpose is much bigger than what we choose to make of it.

    We can't succeed alone -- we most certainly do need saving, but we are saved to DO, to WORK, to ACT in this world. So we do both -- we live a life that's focused on a goal that's not our own, and we act day to day to achieve that goal.

    ReplyDelete